I am a research fellow at University Carlos III of Madrid (UC3M) within the framework of an ERC Starting Grant and the Talent Attraction program from Comunidad de Madrid. My research career has mainly been developed in the department of Continuum Mechanics and Structural Analysis of University Carlos III of Madrid and the Solid Mechanics group of University of Oxford. In addition, I have carried out several international stays at different renown institutions, i.e., University of Lorraine at Metz, University of Texas at Austin, Carnegie Mellon University, Louisiana State University or Institute of Fundamental Technological Research (IPPT-PAN) at Warsaw, among others.
My research focuses on continuum mechanics formulations combining mechanics with other physics, and their applications to problems in different engineering fields. I have worked in characterisation and constitutive modelling of polymers and polymeric composites; magneto-active polymers; multi-physical modelling of biological soft tissues (works on brain mechanics, electrophysiology and collective cell migration); and computational models to address bioengineering studies.
I have created the first multidisciplinary collaboration in UC3M between solid mechanics and bioengineering groups, incorporating an extended collaboration network with both research and industrial institutions. Currently, I am consolidating new research lines in stimuli-responsive polymers as well as mechanistically mediated biological processes (both experimental and modelling aspects). The research findings translate into academic articles, patents and consulting projects with industrial companies. I am always happy to start new collaborations.
Daniel García González
Avenida de la Universidad 30
Leganés, Madrid, 28911
ERC Grantee: ERC Starting Grant, 2020 Call, 4D-BIOMAP • 2021 - Present
Development of magneto-active systems to control biomechanical processes. This project addresses manufacturing, experimental characterisation and computational modelling of magneto-active systems and their potential use to control biological processes. This work is developed as PI of the ERC Starting Grant 4D-BIOMAP.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow: Talent Attraction Program from Comunidad de Madrid • November 2018 - Present
Development of multi-physics constitutive models for biomedical polymer-based materials. These models describe the mechanical, thermal, electrical and magnetic behaviours of polymeric smart structures within thermodynamically consistent continuum mechanics frameworks. Characterisation of 3D printed structures and development of constitutive and computational models to describe their mechanical behaviour. This work is developed as Fellow of the Talent Attraction Program of the Comunidad de Madrid.
Postdoctoral Researcher • February 2017 - November 2018
Development of multi-physics constitutive models for biological soft tissues. These models describe the mechanical, thermal and electrophysiological behaviours of brain tissue (and other biological soft tissues) within thermodynamically consistent continuum mechanics frameworks. Aiming at addressing real problems in bioengineering, computational models are provided to connect experiments with modelling. This work is developed within the framework of an ERC Starting Grant (COMUNEM) and an EPSRC Grant (NEUROPULSE).
Assistant Professor • 2016 - 2017Development of physically-based constitutive models for biomedical polymers and biomedical composite materials. Development of experimental and numerical techniques to study the mechanical behaviour of polymer-based materials under dynamic loading. Development of numerical tools to study the mechanical impact response of metals.
Visiting PhD Student • March - July 2016Development of a Finite Element Head Model to study the mechanical behaviour of cranial implants under impact loading.
Pre-doctoral Scholarship for research workers training (PIPF) • 2015 - 2016The research carried out during my Doctoral Thesis provides new ideas and methodologies on the development of hyperelastic-based constitutive models and may motivate future contributions within this line of investigation. The main contribution of this work is to provide a general continuum mechanics framework.
Fellowship MSc Student: Master in Industrial Engineering • 2014 - 2015Characterisation and modelling of polymers and composite materials under dynamic loading.
Research Fellow. Financing Strategic Actions UC3M • 2014Characterisation and modelling of polymer-metal composites for biomedical structures under dynamic loading.
Doctoral Thesis (PhD) in Mechanical Engineering and Industrial Organization • November 2016
A continuum mechanics framework for hyperelastic materials: connecting experiments and modelling.
Visiting PhD Student • March-June 2016
Master's Degree in Industrial Engineering • February 2016
Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Technology Engineering, Structures and Machines Mechanics major • July 2014
A complex constitutive model for brain tissue is incorporated into a computational model of a rat head developed from imaging data and validated against in vivo brain displacement measurements. Dynamic loadings are reconstructed in silico to provide mechanistic insights into neuronal tissue damage by correlation with cognitive deficits.Brain mechanics, FEM
Development of experimental and computational methodologies to characterise magneto-active polymers in a wide range of loading conditions to design novel smart devices.Magneto-active Polymers
Finite element model to study and optimise the mechanical performance of cranial implants subjected to impact loading.Cranial Implant, Impact Response
Mechanical characterisation and constitutive modelling of thermoplastic polymers manufactured by 3D printing technologies.Branding
New constitutive model for semi-crystalline polymers, commonly used in a wide variety of biomedical applications, that enables reliable predictions under a wide range of loading conditions. The proposed model takes into account characteristic behaviours of injected and 3D printed thermoplastic polymers such as material hardening due to strain rate sensitivity, thermal softening, thermal expansion and combines viscoelastic and viscoplastic responses. These viscous-behaviours are relevant for biomedical applications where temperature evolution is expected during the deformation process due to heat generation induced by inelastic dissipation, being essential the thermo-mechanical coupling consideration.Thermoplastic polymers, Constitutive Modelling, Biomedical Applications
Combination of experimental and numerical techniques to study the mechanical behaviour of a wide variety of materials under impact loading: polymers, composite materials, metals.Impact, Dynamic Loading
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, M.A. Moreno, L. Valencia, A. Arias, D. Velasco. Influence of elastomeric matrix and particle volume fraction on the mechanical response of magneto-active polymers. Composites Part B: Engineering, In press. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, M. Hossain. A microstructural-based approach to model magneto-viscoelastic materials at finite strains. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 208-209:119-132, 2021. click here
• I. Tirado-Garcia, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, S. Garzon-Hernandez, A. Rusinek, G. Robles, J.M. Martinez-Tarifa, A. Arias. Conductive 3D Printed PLA Composites: on the interplay of mechanical, electrical and thermal behaviours. Composite Structures, 265:113744, 2021. click here
• A. Schroder, T. Lawrence, N. Voets, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, M. Jones, J.-M. Peña and A. Jérusalem. A machine learning enhanced mechanistic simulation framework for functional deficit prediction in TBI. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, 9:2296-4185, 2021. click here
• L. Alonso, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, F. Martínez-Hergueta, C. Navarro, F. Teixeira-Dias, S.K. García-Castillo. Modelling high velocity impact on thin woven composite plates: A non-dimensional theoretical approach Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures, In press. click here
• L. Alonso, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, C. Navarro, S.K. García-Castillo. A non-dimensional theoretical approach to model high-velocity impact on thick woven plates. Steel and Composite Structures, In press. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez. Stimuli responsive mechanical systems: from biological cells to magneto-active hydrogels. Invited Talk at LMS Seminars (Paris), 2020. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Muñoz-Barrutia. Computational insights into the influence of substrate stiffness on collective cell migration. Extreme Mechanics Letters, 40:100928, 2020. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, C.M. Landis. Magneto-diffusion-viscohyperelasticity for magneto-active hydrogels: rate dependences across time scales. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 139:103934, 2020. click here
• S. Garzon-Hernandez, A. Arias, D. Garcia-Gonzalez. A continuum constitutive model for FDM 3D printed thermoplastics. Composites Part B: Engineering, 108373, 2020. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, S. Garzon-Hernandez, A.Rusinek, R. Bernier, A. Arias. Low temperature mechanical behaviour of PVDF: cryogenic pre-treatment, quasi-static, cyclic and dynamic experimental testing and modelling. Mechanics of Materials, 147:103436, 2020. click here
• D. Barba, A. Arias, D. Garcia-Gonzalez. Temperature and strain rate dependences on hardening and softening behaviours in semi-crystalline polymers: Application to PEEK. International Journal of Solids and Structures, 182–183:205-217, 2020. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A.Rusinek, A. Bendarma, R. Bernier, M. Klosak, S. Bahi. Material and structural behaviour of PMMA from low temperatures to over the glass transition: Quasi-static and dynamic loading. Polymer Testing, 81:106263, 2020. click here
• S. Garzon-Hernandez, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Jerusalem, A. Arias. Design of FDM 3D printed polymers: an experimental-modelling methodology for mechanical properties prediction. Materials and Design, 188:108414, 2020. click here
• Y. Bing, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, N. Voets, A. Jerusalem. MRI/MRA based in silico head model for stroke simulation. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 101:103442, 2020. click here
• Y. Song, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Rusinek. Constitutive Models for Dynamic Strain Aging in Metals: Strain Rate and Temperature Dependences on the Flow Stress. Materials, 13(7), 1794, 2020. click here
• L. Alonso, F. Martinez-Hergueta, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, C. Navarro, S. Garcia-Castillo, F. Teixeira-Dias. A finite element approach to model high-velocity impact on thin woven GFRP plates. International Journal of Impact Engineering, 142:103593, 2020. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez. Magneto-visco-hyperelasticity for hard-magnetic soft materials: theory and numerical applications. Smart Materials and Structures, 28(085020), 2019. click here
• C. Kirchhelle, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, N.G. Irani, A. Jérusalem, I. Moore. Two mechanisms regulate directional cell growth in Arabidopsis lateral roots. eLife, 8:e47988, 2019 (open access). click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Jérusalem. Energy based mechano-electrophysiological model of CNS damage at the tissue scale. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 125:22-37, 2019 (open access). click here
• H. Chen, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Jérusalem. Computational Model of the Mechano-eletrophysiological Coupling in Axons with Application to Neuromodulation. Physical Review E, 99(032406), 2019 (open access). click here
• G. Kinvi-Dossou, R. Matadi Boumbimba, N. Bonfoh, S. Garzon-Hernandez, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, P. Gerard, A. Arias. Innovative acrylic thermoplastic composites versus conventional composites: improving the impact performances. Composite Structures, 217:1-13, 2019. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, N.S. Race, N.L. Voets, D.R. Jenkins, S.N. Sotiropoulos, G. Acosta, M. Cruz-Haces, J. Tang, R. Shi, A. Jérusalem. Cognition based bTBI mechanistic criteria; a tool for preventive and therapeutic innovations. Scientific Reports, 8(1):10273, 2018 (open access). click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Jérusalem, S. Garzon-Hernandez, R. Zaera, A. Arias. A continuum mechanics constitutive framework for transverse isotropic soft tissues. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 112:209-224, 2018 (open access). click here
• M. Rodriguez-Millan, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Rusinek, A. Arias. Influence of Stress State on the Mechanical Impact and Deformation Behaviors of Aluminum Alloys. Metals, 8(7):520, 2018 (open access). click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, S. Garzon-Hernandez, A. Arias. A new constitutive model for polymeric matrices: Application to biomedical materials. Composites Part B: Engineering, 139:117-129, 2018. click here
• S. Garzon-Hernandez, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Arias. Multi-impact mechanical behaviour of short fibre reinforced composites. Composite Structures, 202:241-252, 2018. click here
• D. Barba, E. Alabort, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, J.J. Moverare, R.C. Reed, A. Jérusalem. A thermodynamically consistent constitutive model for diffusion-assisted plasticity in Ni-based superalloys. International Journal of Plasticity, 105:74-98, 2018. click here
• M. Rodriguez-Millan, D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Rusinek, F. Abed, A. Arias. Perforation mechanics of 2024 aluminium protective plates subjected to impact by different nose shapes of projectiles. Thin-Walled Structures, 123:1-10, 2018. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, J. Jayamohan, S.N. Sotiropoulos, S.-H. Yoon, J. Cook, C.R. Siviour, A. Arias, A. Jérusalem. On the mechanical behaviour of PEEK and HA cranial implants under impact loading. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 69:342-354, 2017 (open access). click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, R. Zaera, A. Arias. A hyperelastic-thermoviscoplastic constitutive model for semi-crystalline polymers: application to PEEK under dynamic loading conditions. International Journal of Plasticity, 88:27-52, 2017. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, M. Rodriguez-Millan, A. Rusinek, A. Arias. Low temperature effect on impact energy absorption capability of PEEK composites. Composite Structures, 134:440-449, 2015. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, M. Rodriguez-Millan, A. Rusinek, A. Arias. Investigation of mechanical impact behavior of short carbon-fiber-reinforced PEEK composites. Composite Structures, 133:1116-1126, 2015. click here
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, M. Rodriguez-Millan, A. Vaz, A. Arias. High impact velocity on multi-layered composite of polyether ether ketone and aluminium. Composite Interfaces, 22(8):705-715, 2015.
• D. Garcia-Gonzalez, A. Rusinek, T. Jankowiak, A. Arias. Mechanical impact behavior of polyether–ether–ketone (PEEK). Composite Structures, 124:88-99, 2015. click here
Check out the video of my Invited Talk at LMS Seminars (Paris) on stimuli responsive systems!Invited Talk at LMS Seminars (Paris)
New paper on multi-physics interplay in magneto-active hydrogels!Published in Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids
Check out my latest work on the magneto-mechanical coupling of hard-magnetic soft polymers!Published in Smart Materials and Structures
New paper coupling mechanical deformation to electrophysiological alterations within central nervous system tissues!.Published in Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids
Have a look into my recent work providing new insights into traumatic brain injury (TBI): how mechanics translate into neuronal damage, eventually cascading into cognitive deficits.Published in Scientific Reports
Check out my recent work providing a new continuum mechanics framework for biological soft tissues.Published in Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids
Looking forward to hearing from you for potential research collaborations or consulting projects.